From a modest beginning in 1971 as a Nursery school started by Mrs Sita Rawlley, the wife of Lt Gen HC Rawlley, PVSM, AVSM, MC , the then Corps Commander, the school has expanded its activities and assumed greater responsibilities.
The school was named as Vajra Army School in Apr 1981. The school was upgraded to class X and affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi vide affiliation No 16205 on 01 May 1982.
The school was renamed as Army School with effect from 04 Jan 1988 and it was further upgraded to +2 level vide affiliation No 1630038 on 01 Jul 1988. It became Army Public School with effect from 01 Apr 2002.
1. Army Public School Jalandhar Cantt is a Co-educational, English Medium School, affiliated to CBSE with classes I to XII
2. The School has the latest educational technology to help the students attain their optimum academic potential and imbibe moral, social and ethical values, an ideal mix of tradition with modernity.
3. Aims and Objectives: School aims at imparting quality education with a special emphasis on intellectual, creative, emotional as well as physical growth of the child. Besides academic excellence, the students are provided with ample opportunities to participate in cultural, sports, drawing and painting competitions, right from school level to national and international level. School aims at developing character and individuality of the students through well-balanced combination of curricular and co-curricular activities.
4. Location and Infrastructure: Presently, the school is functioning at two different locations. The Primary Wing (Classes I & III) is located near Near Zonal Recruiting Office and the Main School (Classes IV to XII) is near Military Hospital.. New school building has all the modern amenities. The foundation stone for the same was laid by Lt Gen Mohinder Singh, AG on 30 June 2005.
5. Besides a well-stocked library, the school has fully equipped Science Laboratories including Biotechnology Lab, Maths Lab, Geography Lab and Computer Lab with internet facility. It also has a Music room, Fine Arts room and Craft room. The school has large play-fields to provide opportunities to the students to enhance their physical development and to excel in sports.
6. Admission Policy - Admission to children of serving Army personnel coming on transfer from out station can be made at any time during the year and they will not be denied admission, subject, however to the stipulation laid down by the CBSE in Classes IX-XII. New admission to children of Defence personnel coming from other than Army Schools are made on the basis of an admission test. No admission test will be administered for class XI.
7. Classes and Curriculum - At the primary stage (Class I to V), formal teaching of academics like English, Hindi, Maths, Environment Studies, Art of Healthy and Productive Living (AHPL) etc is undertaken based on NCERT Syllabi. Besides compulsory subjects at middle and secondary stages, Sanskrit (Classes VI – VIII), Punjabi (Classes VI – X) and Information Technology (Class IX) are available as optional subjects. For the senior secondary stage (Class XI & XII), there are three streams i.e. Science (Medical/Non-medical), Commerce and Humanities. In addition to regular teaching subjects, the school offers Physical Education, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Fine Arts & Mathematics as optional subjects. Co-curricular activities are also an integral part of the curriculum.
8. Always buzzing with activities, this temple of learning is an earnest example of dedication and selfless mission. The School has a strong foundation and has taken off well. Finished products of this institution are perfectly groomed, ready to take on the challenges of life. APS Jalandhar Cantt is a road to success and is on its way to become an island of excellence.